Taking Homeopathic Remedies
Homeopathic remedies can be given in solid or liquid form. The solid form is impregnated on tiny pellets of lactose sugar.
Dry Dose, or Solid Form
A dose of homeopathic remedy is a few (~10) of the poppy-seed sized pellets, or 3-4 of the larger pillules. You can shake a small amount into the remedy bottle cap.
- Take your remedy with a clean mouth -- 30 minutes before or after a meal or toothpaste, mouthwash, cigarette smoke, etc.
- Do not touch the pellets by hand; toss them from the bottle cap onto or beneath your tongue.
- Unless directed otherwise by your practitioner, only take one dose of your remedy. It acts as a signal to your self-regulating and healing mechanisms, and they will be responding even if you do not repeat the remedy daily.
- Protect the medicine -- do not expose it to moisture, direct sunlight, or heat over 110 degrees (like in your car during summer!). Store the remedy in a cool, dry place away from bright light and strong odors like essential oils or cleaning solutions.
- Discard any contaminated remedy. If some gets spilled, throw it away; do not return it to the bottle. Do not transfer the remedy to other containers or bottles that have held homeopathic remedies. These will still have active medicinal properties.
If your remedy is prescribed in this form, you will receive a 1oz bottle with a dropper.
- Smack the bottle against a hardcover book 10 times.
- Place 7 drops of the LM remedy into 4 oz DISTILLED water
- Stir vigorously 10 times
- Take ONLY 1 teaspoon of the remedy mixture
- DISCARD the leftover remedy mixture in the glass
If there is no change after this dose, you may continue to take one dose of the remedy each day in the same way.
If any of the following apply, please stop taking the remedy and call me to decide when and how to take your next dose:
- you note significant improvement [50% or more] at any time
- you notice an aggravation of your symptoms at any time
- you notice the return of an old symptom you have had before
- you develop a symptom you have never had before
- you experience no change at all in 3 weeks of daily dosing
- you're not sure what to do, and you have questions
We will continue to evaluate your response to the remedy, and adjust your dose to fit your needs.
With either form of remedy:
Please observe any changes you feel after taking the remedy, especially in the first week. These changes may be subtle, but they may provide valuable information. This can certainly come in the form of physical sensations, but also dreams, emotional reactions, or mental preoccupations can show such shifts.
In some people, certain things may cause homeopathic remedies to stop working, called "antidoting". Not everyone experiences this, but we do not know initially who will be affected in this way. So at least in the early phases of homeopathic treatment, please avoid the following if possible:
- COFFEE: (not just the caffeine, the coffee itself.) This includes coffee products such as Kahlua, coffee ice cream, or coffee-flavored candies. Other caffeinated drinks such as tea and cola do not cause this problem.
- CAMPHOR: This includes ointments such as Vicks, Ben Gay, Noxema, Tiger Balm and Carmex. Please read the labels on lip balm, cough lozenges, Chinese candy, etc. Menthol and eucalyptus can also be moderate antidotes.
- Some ALLOPATHIC DRUGS, especially antibiotics and steroids. Most other prescription and over-the counter medicines are will not interfere; please discuss these with your practitioner. If you are already on conventional prescriptions, please do not stop them on your own!
- DENTAL WORK: drilling and ultrasonic cleaning can antidote remedies, but regular cleaning and x-rays do not antidote.
- ADDICTIVE DRUGS like Cocaine and marijuana
- MOTHBALLS: do not touch them or inhale the odor for extended periods.
- OTHER HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES can antidote; please do not use homeopathic remedies -- including combination ones or Oscillococcinum -- for acute treatment without contacting your homeopath first.
- Australian Tea tree oil, Swedish bitters; skin products containing strong essential oils
- Hot hair permanents can antidote; this may be from the strongly aromatic chemicals involved.
- Electric blankets and electric mattress pads; MRI Scans.
Desert Flower Essences and Bach Flower Remedies are safe to use with homeopathy.