What Can Homeopathy Help?
Along with appropriate surgical and other medical interventions, classical homeopathy can effectively treat many first aid and acute conditions, such as:
- insect bites or stings
- sprains, bruises, and muscle strain
- coughs and colds
- post-surgical pain and contusions
- bladder infections
- skin rashes such as poison ivy
Homeopathic remedies can often decrease pain and shock on the way to the emergency room, when such visits are needed.
Homeopathy can also help patients heal -- rather than simply manage or suppress -- many chronic diseases. Conventional medicine often struggles with these conditions diagnostically, and definitive treatment can be elusive. Examples include:
- autoimmune disease, including arthritis
- digestive disorders, such as irritable bowel and others
- skin diseases such as eczema
- allergy and sinus disorders
- headaches, such as migraines
- vertigo and other neurological complaints
- women's issues such as PMS, menopausal symptoms, and nausea of pregnancy
Many psychiatric illnesses last for years and can be extremely debilitating, thus qualifying as "chronic diseases". Classical homeopathy can help people suffering many of these, including:
- depression and unresolved grief
- panic disorder
- generalized anxiety disorder
- obsessive compulsive disorders
- post traumatic stress disorder
- some bipolar disorders
- eating disorders
- development and relationship issues
As a psychiatrist, I work with people specifically seeking treatment for their psychiatric symptoms. Also, people "stuck" at certain points in psychotherapy or creative pursuits often find that a well-prescribed homeopathic remedy can facilitate their progress. Homeopathy can be helpful for patients with combined emotional and physical complaints, or who notice that stress worsens their physical symptoms.
Since homeopathy treats entire beings, other ongoing health problems (such as hypertension, diabetes, and allergies, etc) often improve along with treatment for psychiatric issues.
Though these effects are promising, homeopathy is not a cure-all. Conditions with late-stage chronic degeneration may not respond to homeopathy. Also, although some people on helpful remedies may lose weight as their overall health improves, homeopathy is not an effective stand-alone treatment for obesity.